Day Seven, In Which I Didn't Want To

 I began this morning with an incredibly strong sense of I Don't Want To, and this included designing an outfit around my one head cover and wearing said head cover.

I allowed myself the space to be thoroughly late, hoping that my mood and bodily sensations would correct themselves in the additional three hours of morning but I have to confess: nothing seemed to really correct itself.

I didn't want to be up and about. I didn't want to cover my hair. Or go to work or go to class or go to the Bill Roll lecture. The only thing I allowed myself (besides three additional hours of morning which, let's be real, was just as much for everyone who would have to interact with me today as it was for me) was to skip out on the lecture.- Which I imagine I would have enjoyed going to.

So now that my experience with head covering as a spiritual expression and an activation switch of sorts seems pretty fifty-fifty (ironic since this is day seven and therefore could not really be divided in that way)... I find myself contemplating this particular thing as a contemplative practice.

I have to choose it. Choosing it requires (at least for me) that I consider the meaning behind the practice. Choosing requires action on my part. It is putting it on, leaving it on, and at least as long as I remain aware of it being on... I am aware of my Connectivity.

But it is no longer a novelty, and I am no longer fully aware of it all day, every day. I experience resentment toward my choice to embrace Connectivity. But... I also still experience a great deal of joy throughout the day, not in spite of but because of this reminder of who I am... and who They are.

Once, my Rabbi posed a question to his students (of which I was one)... We begin "Baruch atah Adonai, Eloheinu Melech Ha'Olam..."

Blessed are you, Lord our G-d, King of the Universe...

Why do we say this? Are we reminding ourselves who He is? Or are we reminding Him of us? 

As we, as my Tribe, my mishpacha... wait another day... and another... 

479 days...

I hear so many people around me reaching for Hashem. And I am reminded how blessed I am to choose to Connect. I am blessed to have Connection. And I am blessed to do so from the safety of my own little world where the people I know and love are safe and healthy and happy.

I get to be resentful of choosing and sometimes even of being Chosen. How utterly spoiled is that?

Tomorrow, 480... one day away from four more of my Tribe coming home... but also one more day that we do not know the fate of many, including two precious red headed babies. Tomorrow, when I get up, when I think I want to be resentful or choosing or being Chosen... I am going to begin using that moment to remember what I am choosing and to be glad that we are Chosen.

Baruch atah Adonai, Elohainu melech haolam, matir asurim.

Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the Universe, who frees the captive.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One, In Which We Begin with a Beret

Day Eighteen, In Which Nothing Goes To Plan

Day Fourteen, In Which We Acknowledge Time