Day Eighteen, In Which Nothing Goes To Plan

 Today, we were supposed to see friends. It didn't work out and I settled myself into a day at home. 

It should be easier than it is. I love being at home and doing home-things. But I'm also entirely contrary so any day of the week that I'm meant to be at school or work, I resent it and I want to stay home... And the days that I'm allowed to stay at home, I end up galivanting all over the countryside on weird adventures.

I need my at home time. I need to feel in charge of my life and my schedule. It doesn't matter how much I love my job or my classes, being told when I need to do something or where just rubs me wrong.

But today... was an at home day. I watered all of my plants and moved some from their cups of water into the soil, covering up their newly formed roots. I fed the fish. I did laundry and made the grocery order. I prepped fruits and veggies and fed the scraps to the hens. I played ball with my dogs.

And because I was at home, amongst my own people, I didn't cover my hair. - But I'm writing every day, even days like today when I didn't need to practice my contemplative action because not practicing often says as much about your journey as practicing. 

I feel good on days like today. I feel connected to Divinity, caring and nurturing for my plants and animals. I can skip meditation on days like today and I don't miss it. I can work right through any moment suited to prayer but the work, when it's nurturing, feels like a prayer unto itself. Feet on the earth, wind in my hair, sun on my skin, in my Happy Place of animals and plants... It is as though breathing is praying in those moments. - And I wish that was all my life ever was.

Tomorrow will be different. Tomorrow there are serious errands afoot and I doubt I will find much time for anything that readily identifies as happiness. 

In the meantime, I have been given cart blanche to make the backyard into my dream meditation garden and I have a lot of planning to do. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day One, In Which We Begin with a Beret

Day Fourteen, In Which We Acknowledge Time