Day Seventeen, In Which the Weekend Begins
I found myself shopping for new/different hair covers and then I found myself thinking...
Is this me? Is this who I am? Do I want to continue doing this past the thirty days?
Then I considered a previous conversation I had with myself on this blog about whether it had to be all or nothing. Do I feel the need to cover every day? Are there places or times in which I feel like covering feels good or safe or right versus others where I might take into greater consideration a feeling of assimilation? Or a different kind of freedom?
Would it feel stifling to be in a garden somewhere without my hair in the sun and the wind? Covering is meant to make me feel closer to the Divine but is there not a sense of communing with the Divine when the wind and sun are enveloping you?
I think I've always had a certain Pagan air to my relationship to G-d though, from earliest childhood. What are the ideas of men and what are the ways I feel naturally connected to Hashem?
I've held off on buying any more covers for the time being. I do want to begin to cover when I go to shul, though it is not a common practice in the Reform or even Conservative shuls. - But do I think it's needed all the time? I'm not sure. Is this the best way to honor G-d or even myself? I'm not sure. Is it true to myself? Not... sure. Not at all.
I do want to find ways to bring Connectivity into my life but I feel like that might look more like spending time working on my garden or integrating natural fibers into my wardrobe or learning to make home remedies. G-d is not necessarily in the trappings of man but is in every single thing Elohim has created. What is better? Synthetic fibers swaddling my head or dirt under my bare feet?
Forever looking for the right balance and it seems like the only way I ever find the real parts of who I am are by trying on all the hats. On one hand, I envy people who seem to just know who they are and what they want but on the other, I have to admit... Every day is an adventure.

Comments
Post a Comment