Day Twenty-Seven, In Which I Am Happy
I've noticed that as this journal progresses, I have less to say about the act of covering. Why is that?
I think it's become a part of me, at least for now. If I had chosen to do yoga every day for a month, would I still have something new to say about it after a month? I honestly don't think so. And I wonder if my peers will have the same experience: less and less to say about the thing as it becomes integrated into their lives.
So rather, I will talk about life as it happened during my head being covered. I often do not end my day feeling very positive but today, I have managed to have and hold onto some extremely positive experiences. Today...
No one talked to me at work. This makes for great concentration.
My son met up with me and presented me with a chicken sandwich.
People in my first class interacted with me and complimented me. - I'm usually left to my own devices as one of the Quiet People.
The first class of the day was great: but... it always is. (Still worth mentioning.)
- Additionally, a friend in there brought me chocolate peanut butter balls. Delish.
I asked my professor to be on my committee and he said yes. - Fan girling a bit.
I took a little me time before class two and that was refreshing.
We made art in class two which I love.- And had really great conversation.
When I got home...
My coffee plant had sprouted its first tiny branch. (My friend has been growing them for years and warned me last year not to worry if I killed my new little friend. Now we have our first branch!)
AND my new skirt had come.
These things, I experienced as a head-covering married Jewish woman. I have three days left of this experiment and I find myself in a weird headspace about it still.
I found myself admiring my hair in the mirror tonight: not something I ever did before. I never really see or feel my hair anymore so it has this new idea/feeling attached to it. I thought about what it would be like to walk into class next week with my head uncovered and I'm... undecided. I may be undecided for a while. But now I know... it's safe. If I want to incorporate this into my physical and spiritual experience in the world: I have been safe doing it. I have been accepted. -Which is confidence building, certainly.

Comments
Post a Comment